Monday, April 6, 2015

Kitchen Al Fresco

Happy belated Easter! We had such wonderful weather and got to enjoy our big backyard. A part of me still looks for Lucy to come running up. Someone is still missing around here, but Matt has made me promise that I will not bring a new 4-legged baby into the house until the remodel is over. Sigh. Oh-kay.....


It was a bit bright for N and C. I think they just sorta aimed their smiles toward where they saw me last. Please note the expert photographer in action....nice finger included in the photo. We had to dye eggs without E. There is only so much disaster I can take.

I know I have said this before, but I think Matt is like a fine wine (or whiskey as he would prefer). He keeps getting better all the time. Matt traveled most of last week, but on Thursday night Michael asked that we remove the upper cabinets so guess who was demoing on Easter?


I was a little late getting the pre-demo photos in. Now, all of you Rehab Addict watchers (I am included in this) take a deep breath. These cabinets are circa 1970's not 1930's and I will not even tell you how nappy they were, but I happily chucked the shelves into the dump truck with no qualms.



Again, I will not tell you about all the yuckies that were discovered. Vomitville, I tell you.




 Matt got one side done on Saturday. On Sunday he moved on the the last section and the floors. The floors in the kitchen have left us wondering ever since we moved in. First, the floor in there was a good inch higher than the rest of the floors. Why? It also newer than the 100+ year old fir floors. What was under there? When I pulled the dishwasher, I learned that there was fir under some portion of the cabinets, but under the stove was a tacky brick vinyl (it goes with the billions of bricks buried in the yard).



My heart did not skip a beat at this.


It did when I saw this...lovely fir.


Who puts Tyvek under their flooring?????? I am sure that there was a reason. I don't want to know.

 Matt was a little tired and A LOT stinky. Notice the addition behind him? Hello bigger kitchen and mudroom! Oh, you should have heard him groan as he literally fell out of bed this morning. N wanted him to carry him downstairs....um no.

Monday

Michael and Dave arrived ready to get started on taking off the kitchen/bathroom roof today. I am sure that I should be smart enough to be worried about what was going to happen, but I love remodeling so much that I can't help but be excited to see how it all plays out. I would probably not have this opinion if it weren't for Moose and Michael.


 While they were busy ripping things apart, I was pulling nails on this giant stack of flooring. Michael showed me a little trick to break the staples off so I am no longer adding to my impressive list of injuries since moving here. We would like to reuse these, but we don't know where as of yet.
See that blue? That is the tarp and the insulation is just to keep some heat in. 



Dave casually mentioned, "So, there are those two 2x4 walls in the kitchen and bathroom....those really need to not move tonight."  
Me: "Oh, why?" 
Dave: "Well, they are carrying the weight of the roof. Don't worry. It will be okay."
Me: "Do you notice that some of the support post are leaning?" (Putting the Leaning Tower of Pisa to shame!)
Dave: "Oh, yeah. It is okay. There is a screw in there to hold it."
In my mind: "A screw?!?!? Holding up the roof up?!?!?"  Trust Michael. Trust Michael. Trust Michael. 
Me: "MICHAEL!"

I moved the magic carpet to the kitchen. Hopefully, it will help with dust reduction and keep a bit of heat in.


I have been rehabing these vintage schoolhouse lights I got on eBay. Moose has helped me rewire them and rebuild them. This one I wanted to give up on, but he preserved and I am so happy he made it happen. It looks so pretty! The fixture was certainly an ugly duckling before I spray painted it. I was too much of a baby to hook it up. Michael came to my rescue. 

Do you like our pantry on the window seat?  So cool. At least you can see what you own.
I have 3 others upstairs. They are so cute. I am headed to eBay now to find some more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment