Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Door Knobs

Soooo, it has been awhile. I haven't had a whole lot to really discuss. How interesting is painting 9,000 feet of door/floor trim (a slight exaggeration), 9- 5 panel doors, and bead board in 3 bathrooms???

Let me tell you--- not very interesting! 

Bless Matt's heart because he has been working away at the trim like crazy. This should bring me great joy, but I just look at every inch and think I've got to paint it--TWICE! 

When your whole house is destroyed and covered in various types of dust, you don't notice all the horrible painting that came with the house. Now that we are putting things back together and the layer of dust is gone, I keep noticing another area of trim that needs to be painted. 

Deep breath.

On to more exciting news. 
We have several original doors that are still actively in use here. I love, love, love the old mortise locks, strike plates, and original glass knobs. (I am slowly replacing all the tacky modern ones with "brass colored" metal that have been used around here.)

1905 door knob, strike plate, and mortise lock



We had to buy 9 new doors. I was really hoping to reuse 3 of the old doors, but it turns out that they had been "customized" over the years and just wouldn't work in our new door frames. 

Those doors cost a small fortune. It would have cost a large fortune to have them cut for mortise locks. This was discouraging. Throughout all of this process I have been trying to avoid the "this is the old part of the house and this is the new part" look. 

Okay, the down-down stairs screams 1990's. I will work on this next summer when the memories of all this trim painting business has faded.

I searched the internet and sent Matt several modern versions of our old glass door knobs. He was less than excited about the cost of my little beauties. Since we couldn't agree, I just didn't do anything.....oh, I went back to painting trim! 

Black Friday rolled around and what arrived in my inbox???? A fabulous coupon for 25% off my most desired door knobs!!! This brought the price down to less than horrid! They look almost identical to our originals and Matt wasn't going to kill me over the price. It was a dream come true. 
My only crazy Thanksgiving deal were door knobs and I couldn't be more satisfied.

A little bit of black paint in the key hole and you won't even notice that it is fake.


Just look at this picture brings a smile to my face! 


Now I just need to install the other 4.... and paint 2 more doors....and 3,000 more feet of trim.  

Another step forward. Moose and crew came by and put up the frame for the back deck. It will be nice to not open the door and step (or fall) into the Pit of Doom.


We have created a new tradition around here: decorate the coop. C and N made the light selections. I love the goofy cheeriness it brings to the backyard.

1 comment:

  1. I love shopping and installing trims. It can give your house a completely different look for such a small price. I usually change mine every 5 years and I also paint the rooms different colors and rearrange the furniture. I have found that if I do not do that, I want to move too often. One of my guilty pleasures.

    Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware

    ReplyDelete