Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Flooring--- my little idea

Part of the adventure of The Farmhouse is that we have a pretty tight budget. Out of scarcity comes interesting ideas.... All of the floors in the house are fir and old--- 105 years old. They have been lived on and need some love, but we want to keep them. I have been scouring the internet and my favorite salvage yard to find more fir floors, but I wasn't seeing anything that I liked or for a price I like.

The boys room has the original antique fir floors. Originally, we were planning to keep them where they were, but I couldn't think of any good alternatives to put in the new kitchen that would work with the existing fir floors.  Since my brain has a hard time resting, I began to look for ideas.

I came upon two blogs (Picklee and freckledlaundry) who had made their own wood floors from---wait for it--- PLYWOOD. They looked great and who could argue with the price? I called up Moose and told him about it. He is such a kind man that he didn't burst into laughter or tell me that I am nuts, but just paused a moment and said "Well, let's keep thinking about that." I just had to chuckle and smile.

There are so many blessing that we receive in life.  Matt and I count Moose and Michael as two of our larger ones. Not only are they incredibly nice, hardworking, kind to my kids and pets, honest, and fun to be with (this is a must when someone basically lives with you for months), but they are so supportive. I know I can come to them with any idea, no matter how out there, and I know they will consider it and discuss it seriously. I cannot remember a time that they blew me off or discredited something I shared with them. It goes without saying that if something awesome happens around this house, they were involved and guiding us.

  Eastside Handyman

Fast forward a few weeks and I ran my idea past Michael. He wasn't so sure and thought I was joking. I just couldn't let it go...I really felt like I was on to something so I sent the blogs and pics off to Moose. Too my utter surprise, he liked them and said he would be happy to help us make them happen. They both helped us with advice, tips, and let us borrow their floor stapler.

Matt, being the great guy that he is, did all the hard parts like cutting the boards and stapling the planks in. Some day I will get over my fear of most power tools, but not today.


He was a little tired by Sunday afternoon.

 We were still concerned about food fall noise so we installed an underlayment. I have some room to grow on the installation of that.







E was having a bit of trouble remembering that the planks were higher than the sub floor and got so mad every time he fell.

C was happy to play Polly Pockets ALL day without being bothered. 


After the planks were all stapled in, I began the job of patching all the staple marks. Plywood also has some imperfections that I touched up a bit.  Then I sanded the filler and vacuumed like crazy.



Then came staining.....


Then the poly....5 coats.




Sanding before the last coat...with my helper.....




We are SO pleased on how they turned out!  





2 comments:

  1. They look great! And they can be changed out after you win the lottery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! they look amazing! Great work team Heinz!

    ReplyDelete