Sunday, July 12, 2015

$100 Cabinets

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I scored some cabinets from Moose that he had taken off another job. They were destined for the dump, but dude they were nice!

Most cabinets are made with press board or particle board, but these were actually plywood! The doors were solid wood and heavy.

I read about people scoring awesome things by the side of the road or dumpster diving, but that never happens to me... until now!!! I've dreamed of this moment!

The cabinets we are ordering for the kitchen are shaker. Guess what these are? Yes, Shaker!

I wanted to paint them white like the kitchen cabinets. I knew it would be a big job.... Matt got me at paint sprayer for my birthday last year, but I haven't been able to try it out. I figured this was a good time to break it in!

Moose loves oil based paint, but I think it is so smelly! It gives me a headache and clean up is a pain! The Paint Dude at McClendon's said to use this on all of our trim. I have been impressed!

It seems to adhere well and levels very nicely. We'll see if it can withstand abuse from the kids...

With Moose and Michael's help, I took the cabinets apart and began spraying all the pieces.


There was a lot of spraying....





They aren't perfect, but they just cost $100 in paint!

In other news, we installed out first floor!

Again, a salvaged floor from another place in the house. Free floor?!?! Excellent. Perfect?!?! No, but it fits with the 105-year-old house.

In other news, part two!

We have been missing our sweet Lucy so much. She has been gone for a year now and I still look for her. We have been looking for a new pup to round out our family. Denny's Pet World (in Kirkland, up the hill from our house) had their big adoption event this weekend and look who we felt would be a vital part of our family? Meet Henry!

Poor guy had been wandering the Tri Cities area (in Central Washington) with a bad leg wound. Thankfully, he was caught by animal control there and they sent him to NOAH (a donation and volunteer-based animal shelter). 

He has been so sweet with the kids. He has a date with obedience training.... 

Matt did find him on top of the dining room table this afternoon....

1 comment:

  1. Beth-you are a DIY BEAST! Nicole Cutis would be proud of you. (Did you see she's pregnant?!)

    ReplyDelete