Saturday, August 1, 2015

Turning a corner!

We are heading up from the bottom!

Remember this?

This was the temporary wall the built to try to stem the wave of insidious drywall dust. It went across the original entrance to the kitchen. We have spent the last 2+ weeks with it in the way and kinda stopping the flow of dust and crap. 

Every time we go to the kitchen, you have to bat the visqueen away. Annoying to say the least, not to mention that the kids feel like it is the veil that prevents Mama from seeing naughtiness. 


We have had some trouble with the drywallers showing up constantly. I need to explain that, Ubaldo, the owner of the drywall company, always comes and has found people to work our job when his regulars haven't come through. He is wonderful and I would be happy to share his number if you are looking for someone! 

Here is the process with drywall:

 1. Hang the drywall
2. Tape and mud the seams
3. Apply 2 more coats of mud to seams and screws
4. Sand (AKA The BIGGEST mess you can possibly imagine and spreading farther than you think is ever possible)
5. BONUS-- Ubaldo applies a primer coat before leaving.

I almost kissed him when he said that he would prime everything for me. Since I am doing all the interior painting this saves me so much time.

On Tuesday, Ubaldo and his two reliable dudes came to get to work. I asked him if they thought they would be done this week. He was noncommittal, but I explained that I haven't had any kitchen cabinets since Easter. He visibly flinched. I explained that the drywall being finished was all that stood between me and a kitchen again. 

Bless him, but he came every day with workers to get the job done. Today they finished and we were able to remove the temporary wall to see what our new kitchen will look like.

Here it is!


 Katy Esser (our architect) you are fabulous!



E making a run through the new open room. I don't usually have him running around in a diaper, but it has been 95 degrees here and he has been HOT!


I am trying to paint all the ceilings so that we can install flooring. Here are some pics of C's room, laundry, kid bath, and master suite.






If you see me in public, please disregard all the white spots I am covered in. Hazard of painting ceilings.

In other news, Moose and Michael have painted the outside. It took us a long time to decide between two colors, but I thank Susy Matthews immensely for her help in picking out our house colors. She is so good at thinking about the colors in your house and how they work off of each other. If you liked the colors in my old house, it was because of her!


You can see a bit of the old yellow and the new blue!


The poor guys have been painting in high heat, but it didn't slow them down.





I love how the blue really makes the garden pop!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment